A Polo resident was alerted to fire under his porch by his dog, Cashmere, on Monday evening.
Only the porch was damaged in the fire at a home on the corner of Mason and Barber Streets. The fire started under the porch and firefighters had to cut open the floor to put it out, Polo Fire Chief Tony Karrow said.
The fire is under investigation by the state fire marshal, but Karrow said nothing seemed suspicious and it’s likely to be accidental.
Firefighters were called to the scene around 9 p.m. and were back home by 10:15 p.m.
“The owner and the wife weren’t home,” Karrow said Tuesday. “The son was. It wasn’t a bad deal. The guy slept in his own bed last night.”