57°FFog/MistFull Forecast

Two pets die in apartment fire

Published: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 4:48 p.m. CDT • Updated: Wednesday, Aug. 6, 2014 4:05 p.m. CDT

By Vinde Wells


An Oregon woman lost two pets in a fire that damaged her apartment early Monday morning.

Oregon Fire Chief Don Heller said a cat and dog belonging to Bonnie Hitchcock, 909 S. Fourth St., perished in the fire that started in a bedroom.

He said Hitchcock was already at work when the fire was reported by a neighbor at 5:18 a.m.

“When we got there fire was coming out of the windows on the southwest corner of the bedroom,” he said. “We got it out quickly.”

The house sustained extensive smoke damage throughout, Heller said.

The fire was determined to be accidental, he said, but declined to give the cause.

The house is owned by John Andrews.

The Mt. Morris, Byron, and Stillman Valley Fire Departments assisted Oregon firefighters at the scene.

Reader Poll

What do you think of Donald Trump as a Republican candidate for President?
I like him, hope he gets the nomination, and would vote for him
I don't like him, hope be does not get the nomination
I hope he gets the nomination, but I would not vote for him
I have no opinion