56°FOvercastFull Forecast

Man escapes burning home

Published: Thursday, March 7, 2013 12:47 p.m. CDT • Updated: Thursday, March 7, 2013 1:53 p.m. CDT
Firefighters work on the home where Don Probasco Jr. lived in Mt. Morris. Probasco made it out without injury. Photo by Jerry Stauffer

A Mt. Morris man escaped injury last week when his house caught on fire.

Fire Chief Rob Hough said Don Probasco Jr., 410 W. Sunset Lane, got out of the residence when he discovered the fire Feb. 26 at 11:07 p.m. and called 911 from a neighbor's house.

Hough said the probable cause of the fire was a space heater in the bathroom of the one-story house.

"We arrived on the scene to find heavy smoke showing," he said.

The house is owned by Probasco's parents Donald and Sharon Probasco, Rockford.

Hough said the damage to the house was estimated at $30,000, and the owners had insurance on it.

Mt. Morris firefighters were assisted at the scene by the Oregon, Polo, and Byron Fire Departments.

The Illinois State Fire Marshal assisted with the investigation.

More News

Reader Poll

What do you think of Donald Trump as a Republican candidate for President?
I like him, hope he gets the nomination, and would vote for him
I don't like him, hope be does not get the nomination
I hope he gets the nomination, but I would not vote for him
I have no opinion